Gilles Laurent is Research Fellow at ESSEC Business School.
From his Ph.D. graduation in 1978 until his retirement in 2012, he was Assistant Professor, then Associate Professor, then Professor at HEC Paris. He was awarded in 2020 the title of Distinguished Emeritus Professor of Marketing by HEC Paris.
He graduated from HEC Grande École (1970) and holds an SM (1976) and a Ph.D. (1978) from Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
His research focuses on Consumer Behavior, applying statistics to the analysis of marketing data. His current research analyzes how consumers read and encode prices. He also investigates senior consumers, in terms of brand loyalty, attitude certainty, and the ability to handle complex in-store computations. Another topic of interest is luxury, from the consumer’s viewpoint.
He has published articles in Management Science, Journal of Marketing Research, International Journal of Research in Marketing, Journal of Marketing, Journal of Consumer Research, Marketing Science, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Marketing Letters, and other journals. He has co-written three books.
He was Editor-in-Chief of the International Journal of Research in Marketing (1987-1989), and served as guest editor for special issues of that journal, Marketing Letters, and Recherche et Applications en Marketing. He was an Academic Trustee of the Marketing Science Institute (1996-2002), a Vice President Publications of the European Marketing Academy (1999-2005), and a Vice President of the French Marketing Association (1984-1986, 2006-2008).
He organized at HEC Paris several international conferences, including the Marketing Science Conference (1987) and the Invitational Choice Symposium (1998). In both cases, it was the first time they were organized outside North America. At HEC Paris, he has served as Associate Dean for the Ph.D. Program (1989-1991), as Associate Dean for Research (1993-1998), and as a member of the scientific committee of the Doctoral Program (1985-2007). He held the Carrefour Chair (2001-2006)
He received from the European Marketing Academy the title of EMAC Fellow (2002) and the EMAC Distinguished Marketing Scholar Award (2012). He served as Dean of EMAC Fellows (2010-2013). He received the Prix de la Fondation Jours de France (1983, with J.N. Kapferer) and was a member of the “Collège scientifique du Conseil pour me Développement des Humanités et des Science sociales » at the Ministère de l’Enseignement supérieur et de la Recherche (2009-2011). In 2020, he was awarded the title of Distinguished Emeritus Professor at HEC Paris.
- 1978 : Ph.D. in Management Science (Massachusetts Institute of Technology, United States of America )
- 1976 : Master of Science, Operations Research (Massachusetts Institute of Technology, United States of America )
- 1970 : Diplôme de la Grande Ecole, HEC Paris (HEC Paris, France )
- 2019 - Present : Research Fellow (ESSEC Business School, France)
- 2012 - 2019 : Distinguished Research Professor, INSEEC (INSEEC, France)
- 1985 - 2012 : Professor (HEC Paris, France)
- 1983 - 1984 : Associate Professor (HEC Paris, France)
- 1978 - 1982 : Assistant Professor (HEC Paris, France)
- 1993 - 1998 : Associate Dean for Research (HEC Paris, France)
- 1989 - 1991 : Associate Dean for the Ph.D. program, HEC Paqris (HEC Paris, France)
Full-time academic appointments
Other Academic Appointments
- 2020 : Distinguished Emeritus Professor, HEC Paris (France)
- 2012 : EMAC Distinguished Marketing Scholar Award (Belgium)
- 2010 - 2013 : Dean of EMAC Fellows (Belgium)
- 2002 : EMAC Fellow (Belgium)
- 1996 - 2002 : Academic Trustee, Marketing Science Institute (United States of America)
- 1983 : Prix de la Fondation Jours de France 1983 (France)
- CHANDON, J.L., LAURENT, G. and VALETTE-FLORENCE, P. (2019). Evermore subjective and contingent luxury. Journal of Business Research, 102, pp. 245-249.
- LAMBERT-PANDRAUD, R., LAURENT, G. and GOURVENNEC, B. (2018). Investigating Brand Verbal Fluency: When known brands do not come to mind. International Journal of Market Research, 60(3), pp. 304-315.
- LAMBERT-PANDRAUD, R., LAURENT, G., MULLET, E. and YOON, C. (2017). Impact of age on brand awareness sets: a turning point in consumers’ early 60s. Marketing Letters, 28(2), pp. 205-218.
- CHANDON, J.L., LAURENT, G. and VALETTE-FLORENCE, P. (2017). In search of new planets in the luxury galaxy. Journal of Business Research, 77, pp. 140-146.
- KAPFERER, J.N. and LAURENT, G. (2016). Where do consumers think luxury begins? A study of perceived minimum price for 21 luxury goods in 7 countries. Journal of Business Research, 69(1), pp. 332-340.
- NABEC, L., PRAS, B. and LAURENT, G. (2016). Temporary brand–retailer alliance model: the routes to purchase intentions for selective brands and mass retailers. Journal of Marketing Management, 32(7-8), pp. 595-627.
- CHANDON, J.L., LAURENT, G. and VALETTE-FLORENCE, P. (2016). Pursuing the concept of luxury: Introduction to the JBR Special Issue on “Luxury Marketing from Tradition to Innovation”. Journal of Business Research, 69(1), pp. 299-303.
- LAPORTE, S. and LAURENT, G. (2015). More prizes are not always more attractive: factors increasing prospective sweepstakes participants’ sensitivity to the number of prizes. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 43(3), pp. 395-410.
- LAURENT, G. (2015). Susan Douglas: the “founding mother” of the European Marketing Academy. International Marketing Review, 32(2), pp. 116-117.
- RUNGIE, C., UNCLES, M. and LAURENT, G. (2013). Integrating consumer characteristics into the stochastic modelling of purchase loyalty. European Journal of Marketing, 47(10), pp. 1667-1690.
- LAURENT, G. (2013). EMAC Distinguished Marketing Scholar 2012: Respect the data! International Journal of Research in Marketing, 30(4), pp. 323-334.
- LAMBERT-PANDRAUD, R. and LAURENT, G. (2010). Why do Older Consumers Buy Older Brands? The Role of Attachment and Declining Innovativeness. Journal of Marketing, 74(5), pp. 104-121.
- COLE, C., LAURENT, G., DROLET, A., EBERT, J., GUTCHESS, A., LAMBERT-PANDRAUD, R. ... PETERS, E. (2008). Decision making and brand choice by older consumers. Marketing Letters, 19(3-4), pp. 355-365.
- VANHUELE, M., LAURENT, G. and DRÈZE, X. (2006). Consumers' Immediate Memory for Prices. Journal of Consumer Research, 33(2), pp. 163-172.
- RUNGIE, C., LAURENT, G., RILEY, F.D., MORRISON, D.G. and ROY, T. (2005). Measuring and modeling the (limited) reliability of free choice attitude questions. International Journal of Research in Marketing, 22(3), pp. 309-318.
- RUNGIE, C. and LAURENT, G. (2005). Repeated Binary Logit: Analysing Variation in Behavioural Loyalty. Australasian Marketing Journal, 13(2), pp. 27-36.
- YOON, C., LAURENT, G., FUNG, H.H., GONZALEZ, R., GUTCHESS, A.H., HEDDEN, T. ... SKURNIK, I. (2005). Cognition, Persuasion and Decision Making in Older Consumers. Marketing Letters, 16(3-4), pp. 429-441.
- DUBOIS, B., CZELLAR, S. and LAURENT, G. (2005). Consumer Segments Based on Attitudes Toward Luxury: Empirical Evidence from Twenty Countries. Marketing Letters, 16(2), pp. 115-128.
- LAURENT, G., RUNGIE, C., BROWN, B. and RUDRAPATNA, S. (2005). A Standard Error Estimator for the Polarization Index: Assessing the Measurement Error in One Approach to the Analysis of Loyalty. Marketing Bulletin, 16(Technical Note 2).
- LAMBERT-PANDRAUD, R., LAURENT, G. and LAPERSONNE, E. (2005). Repeat Purchasing of New Automobiles by Older Consumers: Empirical Evidence and Interpretations. Journal of Marketing, 69(2), pp. 97-113.
- LAURENT, G. and ZAICHKOWSKY, J. (2005). Preface to La Londe 2003 special issue: communications and consumer behavior. Journal of Business Research, 58(10), pp. 1407-1408.
- LAGEAT, T., CZELLAR, S. and LAURENT, G. (2003). Engineering Hedonic Attributes to Generate Perceptions of Luxury: Consumer Perception of an Everyday Sound. Marketing Letters, 14(2), pp. 97-109.
- LAURENT, G. (2000). Improving the external validity of marketing models: A plea for more qualitative input. International Journal of Research in Marketing, 17(2-3), pp. 177-182.
- CHANDON, P., WANSINK, B. and LAURENT, G. (2000). A Benefit Congruency Framework of Sales Promotion Effectiveness. Journal of Marketing, 64(4), pp. 65-81.
- BERNARDET, J., CHANDON, P., DESMET, P., FARGETTE, F., GUILBERT, F. and LAURENT, G. (1997). La Promotion des Ventes en France : Evolution et révolutions. Décisions Marketing, pp. 9-21.
- LAURENT, G. (1997). Management : les constructeurs : John D.C. Little. Revue Française de Gestion, March-April-May, pp. 51-57.
- LAURENT, G. and DUBOIS, B. (1996). LE LUXE PAR-DELÀ LES FRONTIÈRES : Une étude exploratoire dans douze pays. Décisions Marketing, Sept.-Dec.(9), pp. 35-43.
- LAPERSONNE, E., LAURENT, G. and LE GOFF, J.J. (1995). Consideration sets of size one: An empirical investigation of automobile purchases. International Journal of Research in Marketing, 12(1), pp. 55-66.
- LAURENT, G., KAPFERER, J.N. and ROUSSEL, F. (1995). The Underlying Structure of Brand Awareness Scores. Marketing Science, 14(3_supplement), pp. G170-G179.
- NESLIN, S., ALLENBY, G., EHRENBERG, A., HOCH, S., LAURENT, G., LEONE, R. ... WITTINK, D. (1994). A research agenda for making scanner data more useful to managers. Marketing Letters, 5(4), pp. 395-411.
- LAURENT, G. and DUBOIS, B. (1993). Y a-t-il un euroconsommateur du luxe ? Une analyse comparative des profils sociodémographiques des acheteurs européens. Recherche et Applications en Marketing, 8(4), pp. 107–124.
- KAPFERER, J.N. and LAURENT, G. (1993). Further evidence on the consumer involvement profile: Five antecedents of involvement. Psychology and Marketing, 10(4), pp. 347-355.
- LAURENT, G. and GREGORY, P. (1992). Les thèses de marketing depuis 1986. Recherche et Applications en Marketing, 7(1), pp. 43-63.
- LAURENT, G. (1986). L'analyse exploratoire des données, les statistiques robustes, le 'jackknife' et le 'bootstrap'. Recherche et Applications en Marketing, 1(4), pp. 57-70.
- LAURENT, G. and KAPFERER, J.N. (1986). Les profils d'implication. Recherche et Applications en Marketing, 1(1), pp. 41-57.
- LAURENT, G. and KAPFERER, J.N. (1985). Measuring Consumer Involvement Profiles. Canadian Journal of Marketing Research, 22(1), pp. 41.
- LAURENT, G., LAURENT, J., NOIROT, C., ANSQUER, J.C., KESTENBAUM, S. and LAGRUE, G. (1985). Comment définir le taux normal des IGE sériques chez l'adulte ? Annales de médecine interne, 5(136), pp. 419-422.
- LAURENT, G. and KAPFERER, J.N. (1985). Consumer Involvement Profiles: A New Practical Approach to Consumer Involvement. Journal of Advertising, 25(6), pp. 48-56.
- LAURENT, G. and KAPFERER, J.N. (1985). Consommation : le cas de la rumeur de Villejuif. Revue Française de Gestion, April-Mai(51).
- LAURENT, G. and KAPFERER, J.N. (1980). Peut-on identifier les innovateurs?, Une application des modèles log-linéaires au marketing des biens de grande consommation. Revue Française du Marketing, 83(4), pp. 21–39.
- LAURENT, G. (1976). A Note on Range Programming: Introducing a "Satisficing Range" in a L.P. Management Science, 22(6), pp. 713-716.
- LAURENT, G. and PRAS, B. (1999). Research in Marketing: Some Trends, Some Recommendations. In: Rethinking Marketing. Towards Critical Marketing Accountings. 1st ed. SAGE Publications, pp. 245-261.
- CHOFFRAY, J.M. and LAURENT, G. (1991). Marketing science : formalisation et exploitation des connaissances marketing. In: Encyclopédie du Management. 1st ed. Vuibert, pp. 596-612.
Presentations at an Academic or Professional conference
- CHANDON, J.L., LAURENT, G. and LAMBERT-PANDRAUD, R. (2020). Battling for a Share of Memory: The Case of Luxury Car Brands Across Four Cultures. In: 2020 Monaco Symposium on Luxury.
- LAURENT, G. and VANHUELE, M. (2019). Do Consumers Read Price from Left to Right? Negative Evidence from Eye-tracking Analysis. In: 48th European Marketing Association Annual Conference (EMAC) 2019.
- PRAS, B. and LAURENT, G. (1993). Research in Marketing : Some Trends, Some Controversies and Some Recommendations.
- 2020 - Present : Eye-Tracking for Research (PHD (MS BAR + PhD) ESSEC Business School France)
- 2019 : Tutoring a doctoral student (Supervision of dissertation)