Veronika Korom is dual-qualified as solicitor of England and Wales and as avocat admitted to the Paris bar, and is also a member of the Budapest bar. She holds a Doctorate degree in law from the University of Aix-Marseille, a Master in Law from Oxford University and undergraduate degrees in law from the University of Aix-Marseille and the Eötvös Loránd University of Budapest.
Veronika has over 10 years of experience working in leading international law firms in Paris and London and acting as counsel in large-scale and complex international arbitration proceedings under the main arbitration rules (ICSID, UNCITRAL, ICC, LCIA and CCS). She has particular expertise in investment arbitrations involving States from the Middle East and Member States of the European Union and questions of EU law. She regularly advises companies and States in a variety of economic sectors such as energy, gas and hydrocarbons, construction, telecommunications, civil aviation and mining. She also serves as secretary to arbitral tribunals and represents clients in various types of annulment and setting-aside proceedings, as well as in domestic enforcement proceedings and proceedings before the Courts of the European Union.
Veronika is a member of the Academic Forum on Investor-State Dispute Settlement which works alongside the UNCITRAL Working Group III on proposals for reform of the current ISDS system. She is a contributor for Hungary to the New York Convention 1958.org project.
Veronika is referenced as arbitrator on the list of arbitrators of the Court of Arbitration of the Hungarian Chamber of Commerce and on the list of arbitrators of the OHADA Common Court of Justice and Arbitration.
She acts as the President of the Hungarian Arbitration Association and sits on the International Advisory Board of the Vienna International Arbitral Centre of the Austrian Federal Economic Chamber (VIAC).
Veronika has been recognised as "Future Leader" in arbitration in France by Who's Who Legal for 2019, 2020 and 2021.
Veronika's main research interests are corporate law, comparative law, international investment law, international investment arbitration, EU law and the interaction between the international and EU legal orders in the field of international investment protection. She is fluent in English, French, German and Hungarian.
- 2014 : Doctorate in law (Aix-Marseille Université, France )
- 2007 : LPC (College of law, United Kingdom )
- 2006 : Diplôme d'études supérieures spécialisées, Law (Oxford Brookes University, United Kingdom )
- 2005 : Magister Juris (University of Oxford, United Kingdom )
- 2004 : Dr. jur. (Université Eötvös Loránd of Budapest, Hungary )
- 2002 : Bachelor in Law (Aix-Marseille Université, France )
- 2018 - Present : Assistant Professor (ESSEC Business School, France)
- 2014 - Present : Lecturer (Pázmány Péter University, Hungary)
- 2014 - Present : Lecturer (Université Paris Dauphine, France)
Full-time academic appointments
Other Academic Appointments
- 2005 : Bourse d’Excellence du Gouvernement Français
- 2004 : Chevening British Scholarship British, Foreign and Commonwealth Office
- 2021 : "Future Leader in Arbitration 2021 - France"
- 2020 : "Future Leader in Arbitration 2020 - France"
- 2019 : "Future Leader in Arbitration 2019 - France"
- KOROM, V. (2020). Signature de l'accord plurilatéral portant extinction des traités bilatéraux d'investissement intra-européens : la dernière heure de l'arbitrage d'investissement en Europe a-t-elle sonné ?. Recueil Dalloz, 7875(30), pp. 1687-1689.
- KOROM, V. (2019). Vers une nouvelle loi sur le renseignement ?. Recueil Dalloz,(24), pp. 1384.
- KOROM, V. (2019). Challenges to ICC and Other Foreign Institutional Arbitration under the New Hungarian Arbitration Act. ICC Dispute Resolution Bulletin, 2019(3), pp. 19-22.
- BOUTHINON-DUMAS, H. and KOROM, V. (2018). Arrêt Achmea : quelles stratégies pour les entreprises européennes pour protéger leurs investissements dans l’UE ?. Juriste d'Entreprise Magazine,(31), pp. 30-31.
- KOROM, V. (2018). Jurisprudence Achmea : la fin de l'arbitrage d'investissement au sein de l'Union européenne ?. Recueil Dalloz, 194(36), pp. 2005-2010.
- KOROM, V., BECHT, M. and ENRIQUES, L. (2009). Centros and the cost of branching. Journal of Corporate Law Studies, 9(1).
- KOROM, V. and METZINGER, P. (2009). Freedom of establishment for companies: the European Court of Justice confirms and refines its Daily Mail decision in the Cartesio case C-210/06. European Company and Financial Law Review, 6(1).
- KOROM, V. (2009). La liberté d'établissement des personnes morales et l'affaire Cartesio: un pas en arrière?. Revue Lamy droit des affaires,(36).
- KOROM, V. (2019). Hungary In: Investment Arbitration in Central and Eastern Europe. Law and Practice. 1st ed. Edward Elgar Publishing Ltd, pp. 156-219.
- KOROM, V. (2014). Certification and Transfer of Securities; Companies: Supplementary Provisions; Companies: Interpretation In: Companies Act 2006 - Kommentar. 1st ed. Munich: Editura C.H. Beck.
- KOROM, V., BECHT, M. and ENRIQUES, L. (2009). The Cost of Limited Branching in the EU In: Perspectives in Company Law and Financial Regulation - Essays in Honour of Professor Eddy Wymeersch. 1st ed. Oxford: Cambridge University Press.
Presentations at an Academic or Professional conference
- KOROM, V. (2018). Arbitrability under French, English and Hungarian Law. In: The New Hungarian Arbitration Act: Views from Hungary and Abroad.
- KOROM, V. (2018). Enforcement of Arbitral Awards and European Union Law. In: The New York Convention and European Union Law. Celebrating 60 Years of the New York Convention.
- KOROM, V. (2018). EU Law and Intra-EU Investment Arbitration. In: Center for International Legal Studies (CILS) International Arbitration Symposium.
- KOROM, V. (2018). The CJEU's Achmea Judgment and intra-EU Disputes under the Energy Charter Treaty. In: Wolters Kluwer Third Hungarian Energy Law Conference.
- KOROM, V. (2018). The Consequences of the CJEU's Achmea Judgment for Investment Treaty Arbitration. In: DAA Investment Arbitration Committee Meeting 2018.
- KOROM, V. (2018). The Impact of Achmea on Intra-EU Investment Treaty Arbitration: Killing Me Softly with EU Law: What to Do after the CJEU Judgement in Achmea?. In: International Chamber of Commerce - Young Arbitrators Forum (ICC YAF).
- KOROM, V. (2018). What Are the Implications of Achmea in Investment Treaty Law? What Degree of Notice Should National Courts Give to Intra-Eu Investment Treaty Awards in Light of the Achmea Judgment?. In: The EU Law of Unintended Consequences - What Is the Impact of the Achmea Judgment on Investment and Dispute Settlement in the EU Energy Sector?.
- KOROM, V. (2018). Why Budapest? - Budapest as Venue of Arbitration. In: Hungarian Arbitration on UNCITRAL Bases.
- KOROM, V. (2018). Minimizing costs in international arbitration: tips and tricks. In: Young ICCA Skills Training Workshop on Efficiency and Costs in International Arbitration. Zagreb.
- KOROM, V. (2018). The Future of Intra-EU Investment Arbitration in the Aftermath of the Achmea Judgment. In: Paris Arbitration Week 2018. Paris.
- KOROM, V. (2017). Backlash Against Investment Arbitration and Issue Conflicts. In: Investment Arbitration in Challenging Times – Issue Conflicts and the Problem of Legitimacy. Frankfurt.
- KOROM, V. (2017). Best Practices for Working with In-House Counsel. In: In-house & External Counsel – What we've always wanted to tell each other. Frankfurt.
- KOROM, V. (2017). Provisional Measures in Investment Arbitration. In: Interim Measures and Security for Costs in Arbitration Proceedings. Budapest.
- KOROM, V. (2016). Intra-EU Investment Arbitration: The CEE Perspective. In: CEU and Hungarian Academy of Sciences Joint Symposium. Budapest.
- KOROM, V. (2016). Lessons Learned from the ICSID Proceedings against Hungary in the Field of Energy. In: First Hungarian Energy Law Conference. Budapest.
- KOROM, V. (2016). Parallel Proceedings and Abuse of Process. In: CILS International Arbitration Symposium. Salzburg.
- KOROM, V. (2015). The EU and International Investment Law and Arbitration: Strange Bedfellows?. In: Shearman & Sterling International Arbitration Speaker Series. London.
- KOROM, V. (2015). The Protection of Foreign Investment in International Law and EU Law. In: Hungarian Academy of Sciences Speaker Series. Budapest.
- KOROM, V. (2014). Structuring Intra-EU Investments to Obtain Investment Protection in the European Union. In: CILS International Arbitration Symposium. Salzburg.
- KOROM, V. (2012). Investment Arbitration in the EU: The Beginning of the End?. In: Recent Developments in the Law of International Arbitration. Oxford.
Press article, video or other popular media
Interviews: radio, TV, press
- 2013 - 2019 : External Lecturer ( Université Paris Dauphine France)
- 2012 - 2017 : External Lecturer ( Pázmány Péter University Hungary)
- 2020 - Present : Academic Forum on Investor-State Dispute Settlement
Member of an academic association
- 2020 - Present : Member of the International Advisory Board of the Vienna International Arbitral Centre (VIAC), Vienna International Arbitral Centre (VIAC), Autriche
- 2019 - Present : President, Hungarian Arbitration Association, Hongrie