This case study addresses the financial situation of Sakura, a listed mid-market company specializing in high-end fragrances. The financial statements are given for 3 years only. The reference period includes the termination of the licence with Burberry.
As a game and in order to make reference to the world of fragrances, the case study provides:
– a pot-pourri of blends (financial notions and ratios),
– the key fragrances (the fours pillars of financial analysis),
– the notes of the olfactory pyramid.
Optional work: in order to complement the financial approach, the students can also work out a short marketing strategy through:
– the company’s SWOT,
– key success factors,
– effects and follow-on of termination of licence with Burberry,
– and core business of Sakura.
BUISSON, V. (2018). Sakura: a Finance Fragrance with a Drop of Marketing. ESSEC Business School.