This case study addresses the subject of brand strategy through the example of the French brand Michel et Augustin and is part of the “Michel et Augustin” series comprising a total of 4 cases . The “Brand Strategy” case is aimed at participants and students in executive education or full-time studies within the context of a Fundamentals of marketing course. No prerequisites are required.
An initial case focusing on Michel et Augustin and covering the subject of consumer behaviors is available and centers around the question “Why do consumers love the Michel et Augustin brand?”. It uses consumer interviews as well as an online consumer survey.
A second case in the series deals with an evaluation of the Michel et Augustin’s strategic marketing via an analysis of data stemming from a qualitative and quantitative survey.
Since 2004, Michel et Augustin has commercialized various ranges of food products (ex. cookies, yoghurt drinks, chocolate mousse, etc.) bearing the name of the 2 founders who incarnate this entrepreneurial adventure.
The brand is both characterized by the food-loving gourmand aspect of its products and also the zany side to its communication, having a strong proximity to the consumer community.
The case is composed of 2 parts:
1 / Diagnostic of the current situation of the Michel et Augustin brand on the French yoghurt drinks market:
in 2 steps
– Research and analyse key information on a market (yoghurt drinks) and a brand (Michel et Augustin),
– Effectively integrate this information in the SWOT analysis model in order to formulate a diagnostic to then define a marketing strategy.
2 / Define a marketing strategy for the Michel et Augustin brand on the yoghurt drinks market
How to move from the diagnostic to the definition of a strategy.
The case includes:
● two video interviews carried out with Michel de Rovira, one of the founders of the brand,
● two audiovisual learning tutorials on the use of the tools and models to employ to implement the analysis,
● appendices with data relating to the market and the brand, as well as the results of the consumer survey carried out.
OBLE, F. (2016). Michel et Augustin 3- conquering new markets or How appetite comes with eating. ESSEC Business School.