Giordano Mion is currently Professor of Economics at the ESSEC Business School, France. Before joining the ESSEC Business School in 2022, Giordano Mion was a Professor at the University of Sussex (2015-2022) and at the University of Surrey (2013-2015), a Lecturer at the London School of Economics (2009-2013), as well as post-doctoral fellow at the Université Catholique de Louvain in Belgium (2005-2008) from which he received a PhD in Economics in 2004. He was also a visiting scholar at the Paris School of Economics, University of Toronto and University of Bologna. Past research awards include the Highly Cited Authors Award from the Journal of Urban Economics and the Mundell Prize form the Canadian Journal of Economics. He is currently a member of the editorial board of the Journal of Economic Geography as well as of Regional Science and Urban Economics.
Giordano Mion is currently a Research Fellow of the Centre for Economic and Policy Research (CEPR) and The Productivity Institute (TPI) and is associated to the Centre for Economic Performance (CEP) at the London School of Economics, the Center for Economic Studies and the Ifo Institute (CESifo), the National Institute of Economic and Social Research (NIESR) and the Centre for Research on Globalisation and Economic Policy (GEP) at the University of Nottingham. His research and teaching focus on International Trade, Urban Economics and Applied Econometrics. He has been publishing in international peer-reviewed journals including the Quarterly Journal of Economics, the Journal of Political Economy, the Journal of International Economics, the Journal of Urban Economics, the Economic Journal, the International Economic Review and the Review of Economics and Statistics. He has also conducted a number of studies and consultancies for the UK Trade and Investment agency, the UK Department for Transport, the UK Business and Investment agency and the European Central Bank.
- 2004 : Doctorate, Business administration, Business administration (Université Catholique de Louvain, Belgium)
- 2000 : Master of Arts, Economics (Université Catholique de Louvain, Belgium)
- 2022 - Present : Professor (ESSEC Business School, France)
- 2015 - 2022 : Professor (University of Sussex, United Kingdom)
- 2013 - 2015 : Professor (University of Surrey, United Kingdom)
- 2009 - 2013 : Assistant Professor (London School of Economics, United Kingdom)
- 2005 - 2008 : Post-Doctorate (Université Catholique de Louvain, Belgium)
- 2004 - 2005 : Post-Doctorate (University of Bologna, Italy)
Full-time academic appointments
- 2022 : Fellowship from the Centre for Inclusive Trade Policy (United Kingdom)
- 2021 : Fellowship from The Productivity Institute (United Kingdom)
- 2021 : The British Academy small research grants (United Kingdom)
- 2014 - 2018 : FP7 project “Productivity, Non-Tariff Measures and Openness”, SSH.2013.4.3-3 (United Kingdom)
- 2012 - 2014 : Project (PTDC/EGE-ECO/122115/2010). FCT (Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia) (Portugal)
- 2021 : Call for papers on the Portuguese Economy, Productivity, 2021 (Banco de Portugal, Portugal)
- 2018 : Call for papers on the Portuguese Economy, Competitiveness and Internationalization, 2018 (Banco de Portugal, Portugal)
- 2016 : Prêmio Haralambos Simeonidis 2016 for the article “Institutions and Export Dynamics” (Brazilian Economics Association, Brazil)
- 2009 : Robert Mundell prize for the best article in the Canadian Journal of Economics by a young economist in 2009 (Canadian Economics Association, Canada)
- 2008 : Highly cited author award from Elsevier for one of the 10 most cited papers in the Journal of Urban Economics during 2004-2008 (Elsevier, Netherlands)
- CALIENDO, L., MION, G., OPROMOLLA, L.D. and ROSSI-HANSBERG, E. (2020). Productivity and Organization in Portuguese Firms. Journal of Political Economy, 128(11), pp. 4211-4257.
- BEHRENS, K., MION, G., MURATA, Y. and SUEDEKUM, J. (2020). Quantifying the Gap Between Equilibrium and Optimum under Monopolistic Competition*. Quarterly Journal of Economics, 135(4), pp. 2299-2360.
- ARIU, A., BREINLICH, H., CORCOS, G. and MION, G. (2019). The interconnections between services and goods trade at the firm-level. Journal of International Economics, 116, pp. 173-188.
- ARIU, A. and MION, G. (2017). Service Trade and Occupational Tasks: An Empirical Investigation. Japan and the World Economy, 40(9), pp. 1866-1889.
- ARAUJO, L., MION, G. and ORNELAS, E. (2016). Institutions and export dynamics. Journal of International Economics, 98, pp. 2-20.
- BEHRENS, K., MION, G., MURATA, Y. and SÜDEKUM, J. (2014). Trade, Wages, and Productivity. International Economic Review, 55(4), pp. 1305-1348.
- MION, G. and OPROMOLLA, L.D. (2014). Managers' mobility, trade performance, and wages. Journal of International Economics, 94(1), pp. 85-101.
- CORCOS, G., IRAC, D.M., MION, G. and VERDIER, T. (2013). The Determinants of Intrafirm Trade: Evidence from French Firms. Review of Economics and Statistics, 95(3), pp. 825-838.
- BEHRENS, K., CORCOS, G. and MION, G. (2013). Trade Crisis? What Trade Crisis? Review of Economics and Statistics, 95(2), pp. 702-709.
- MION, G. and ZHU, L. (2013). Import competition from and offshoring to China: A curse or blessing for firms? Journal of International Economics, 89(1), pp. 202-215.
- CORCOS, G., DEL GATTO, M., MION, G. and OTTAVIANO, G.I.P. (2012). Productivity and Firm Selection: Quantifying the ‘New’ Gains from Trade. Economic Journal, 122(561), pp. 754-798.
- BAUWENS, L., MION, G. and THISSE, J.F. (2011). The Resistible Decline of European Science. Recherches Economiques de Louvain, 77(4), pp. 5.
- MION, G. and NATICCHIONI, P. (2009). The spatial sorting and matching of skills and firms. Canadian Journal of Economics, 42(1), pp. 28-55.
- LAFOURCADE, M. and MION, G. (2007). Concentration, agglomeration and the size of plants. Regional Science and Urban Economics, 37(1), pp. 46-68.
- MANTOVANI, A. and MION, G. (2006). Advertising and endogenous exit in a differentiated duopoly. Recherches Economiques de Louvain, 72(1), pp. 19.
- MION, G. (2004). Spatial externalities and empirical analysis: the case of Italy. Journal of Urban Economics, 56(1), pp. 97-118.
- 2018 : - Present : Member of the Editorial Board of Regional Science and Urban Economics
- 2018 : - Present : Member of the Editorial Board of the Journal of Economic Geography
- Reviewer for American Economic Journal: Applied Economics; American Economic Journal: Economic Policy; American Economic Review; Annales d'Économie et de Statistique; B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy; Canadian Journal of Economics; Economic Journal; Economica; Economics Letters; Économie Internationale / International Economics; European Journal of Political Economy; Journal of Applied Econometrics; Journal of Common Market Studies; Journal of Development Economics; Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization; Journal of Economic Geography; Journal of Economics; Journal of International Economics; Journal of Law, Economics and Organization; Journal of Political Economy; Journal of Regional Science; Journal of Urban Economics; Manchester School; Quantitative Economics; Quarterly Journal of Economics; Recherches Economiques de Louvain; Regional Science and Urban Economics; Regional Studies; Review of Economic Studies; Review of Economics and Statistics; Review of Urban and Regional Development Studies; Scandinavian Journal of Economics; Urban Studies