Romain Boulland’s research interests focus on the effect of media in financial markets and the role played by information intermediaries. His research encompasses the impact of financial communication on firms’ visibility, the strategic timing of earnings release, and the behavioral biases of financial analysts. He teaches corporate finance in the M.Sc. (Grande Ecole) program. He has received in 2019 the Young Researcher Award in Economics from the French financial market regulator (Autorité des Marchés Financiers).
- 2013: Ph.D. in Finance (Université Paris-Dauphine, PSL France)
- 2010: M.Sc. Economics and Statistics (L’École nationale de la statistique et de l’administration économique (ENSAE) France)
- 2008: B.Sc. Economics (École Normale Supérieure Paris-Saclay France)
- 2022 – 2024 : Academic director Ms in Finance (ESSEC Business School France)
- 2020 – Now : Associate Professor (ESSEC Business School France)
- 2014 – 2020 : Assistant Professor (ESSEC Business School France)
- 2019 : Young Researcher Award, Autorité des Marchés Financiers
- 2015 : Best Ph.D. prize, Cercle France-Amériques
- 2015 : Best Ph.D. prize, Chancellerie des Universités de Paris
- 2014 : Best thesis prize in Corporate Finance, French Finance Association
- 2014 : Best Ph.D. prize of the Fondation Dauphine
- BOULLAND, R., FILIP, A., GHIO, A. et PAUGAM, L. (2023). Grabbing Investor Attention with Limited Resources: A Study of Small Cap Firms’ Communication Channels. European Accounting Review, In press, pp. 1-29.
- BOULLAND, R., ORNTHANALAI, C. et WOMACK, K.L. (2022). Speed and Expertise in Stock Picking: Older, Slower, and Wiser? Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 58(4), pp. 1612-1644.
- BOULLAND, R., LOBO, G. et PAUGAM, L. (2019). Do Investors Pay Sufficient Attention to Banks Other Comprehensive Income? European Accounting Review, 28(5), pp. 819-848.
- BOULLAND, R. (2018). Analysts’ Stickiness, Over-Reaction and Drift. Finance, 39(1), pp. 35-69.
- BOULLAND, R. et DESSAINT, O. (2017). Announcing the Announcement. Journal of Banking and Finance, (82), pp. 59-79.
- BOULLAND, R., DEGEORGE, F. et GINGLINGER, E. (2017). News Dissemination and Investor Attention. Review of Finance (ex European Finance Review), 21(2), pp. 761-791.
Presentations at an Academic or Professional conference
Invited speaker at an academic conference
- 2014 – 2019 Three essays on empirical corporate finance (ESSEC Business School France)
- 2014 : JIA Xiao (ESSEC Business School), Thesis co-director, First placement: Assistant Professor in Finance – School of Economics, Huazhong University of Science and Technology (“HUST”)