Thomas Kude is an Associate Professor of Information Systems at ESSEC Business School. In his research, he is interested in the development and application of information systems at various levels of analysis. His recent research has primarily focused on digital innovation produced by collectives of organizations and individuals. For example, he has studied the governance and evolution of digital platforms and ecosystems in different domains, including enterprise software and mobile apps. He has also studied collaboration in teams, in particular software development teams. His work has appeared in various IS journals including Information Systems Research and Information Systems Journal.
- 2018 : Habilitation (University of Mannheim, Germany )
- 2012 : Ph.D. in Information Systems (University of Mannheim, Germany )
- 2007 : Diploma (combined Bachelor's and Master's degree) in Information Systems (University of Mannheim, Germany )
- 2018 - Present : Associate Professor (ESSEC Business School, France)
- 2016 - 2018 : Assistant Professor (ESSEC Business School, France)
Full-time academic appointments
- 2020 : ESSEC Foundation Research Award (ESSEC Foundation, France)
- 2019 : Best Paper Award among papers published in the journal Information Systems Research during 2018.
- 2018 : AIS Early Career Award, Association for Information Systems (AIS), International Conference of Information Systems (ICIS)
- 2016 : Best Reviewer Award, International Conference on Software Business (ICSOB)
- FOERDERER, J., KUDE, T., SCHUETZ, S.W. and HEINZL, A. (2019). Knowledge Boundaries in Enterprise Software Platform Development: Antecedents and Consequences for Platform Governance. Information Systems Journal, 29(1).
- KUDE, T., MITHAS, S., SCHMIDT, C.T. and HEINZL, A. (2019). How Pair Programming Influences Team Performance: The Role of Backup Behavior, Shared Mental Models, and Task Novelty. Information Systems Research, 30(4), pp. 1145-1163.
- KUDE, T., HUBER, T. and DIBBERN, J. (2019). Successfully Governing Software Ecosystems: Competence Profiles of Partnership Managers. IEEE Software, 36(3), pp. 39-44.
- KUDE, T., LAZIC, M., HEINZL, A. and NEFF, A. (2018). Achieving IT-based synergies through regulation-oriented and consensus-oriented IT governance capabilities. Information Systems Journal, 28(5), pp. 765-795.
- MITHAS, S., KUDE, T. and WHITAKER, J. (2018). Artificial Intelligence and IT Professionals. IT Professional, 20, pp. 6-13.
- FOERDERER, J., KUDE, T., MITHAS, S. and HEINZL, A. (2018). Does Platform Owner’s Entry Crowd Out Innovation? Evidence from Google Photos. Information Systems Research, 29(2).
- KUDE, T., HUBER, T. and DIBBERN, J. (2018). Successfully Governing Software Ecosystems: Competence Profiles of Partnership Managers. IEEE Software, 36(3), pp. 39-44.
- HUBER, T., KUDE, T. and DIBBERN, J. (2017). Governance Practices in Platform Ecosystems: Navigating Tensions Between Cocreated Value and Governance Costs. Information Systems Research, 28(3), pp. 563-584.
- KUDE, T., HOEHLE, H. and SYKES, T.A. (2017). Big Data Breaches and Customer Compensation Strategies: Personality Traits and Social Influence as Antecedents of Perceived Compensation. International Journal of Operations and Production Management, 37(1), pp. 56-74.
- MITHAS, S. and KUDE, T. (2017). Digitization and Disciplined Autonomy. IT Professional, 19(5), pp. 4-8.
- HOEHLE, H., KUDE, T., HUFF, S. and POPP, K. (2017). Service-Channel Fit Conceptualization and Instrument Development: A Mixed Methods Study in the Context of Electronic Banking. Business and Information Systems Engineering, 59(2), pp. 97-110.
- JENS, D., CHIN, W.W. and KUDE, T. (2016). The Sourcing of Software Services: Knowledge Specificity and the Role of Trust. The Data Base for Advances in Information Systems, 47(2), pp. 36-57.
- STUCKENBERG, S., KUDE, T. and HEINZL, A. (2014). Understanding the Role of Organizational Integration in Developing and Operating Software-as-a-Service. Journal of Business Economics, 84(8), pp. 1019-1050.
- KUDE, T., DIBBERN, J. and HEINZL, A. (2012). Why Do Complementors Participate? An Analysis of Partnership Networks in the Enterprise Software Industry. IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, 59(2), pp. 250-265.
- 2019 - Present : Business and Information Systems Engineering
- 2019 - Present : Editorial review board - Journal of the Association for Information Systems