Prof. He studies collaboration in three innovation-related contexts: new venture teams, research and development projects, and open-source software communities. Her research, which combines organizational and psychological theories in novel ways, has been published in leading international journals and won competitive national grants. Her teaching covers strategy and entrepreneurship domains. Prof. He collaborates with big Pharma, small biotechs, and investors in research and teaching.
- 2013 : PhD in Management (George Washington University, United States of America)
- 2020 - Present : Associate Professor (ESSEC Business School, France)
- 2015 - 2020 : Senior Lecturer (Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH), Zurich, Switzerland)
- 2013 - 2015 : Lecturer (Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH), Zurich, Switzerland)
Full-time academic appointments
- 2020 : Best Dissertation-Based Paper Award, OB Division (Academy of Management)
- 2012 : Conference Best Paper Award, Psychology of Entrepreneurship Track (International Council for Small Business)
- 2017 - 2021 : Leading and Coordinating Knowledge Creation in Online Communities (Swiss National Science Foundation , Switzerland)
- 2017 - 2020 : Learning More when Learning Together: Antecedents and Consequences of New Venture Team Learning (Swiss National Science Foundation , Switzerland)
- HE, V., VON KROGH, G.F. and SIRÉN, C. (2022). Expertise diversity, informal leadership hierarchy, and team knowledge creation: A study of pharmaceutical research collaborations. Organization Studies, 43(6), pp. 907-930.
- SHRESTHA, Y.R., HE, V., PURANAM, P. and VON KROGH, G. (2021). Algorithmic induction through machine learning: Can we use predictions to theorize? Organization Science, 32(3), pp. 856–880.
- HE, V., VON KROGH, G., SIRÉN, C. and GERSDORF, T. (2021). Asymmetries between partners and the success of university-industry research collaborations. Research Policy, 50(10), pp. 104356.
- HE, V., PURANAM, P., SHRESTHA, Y.R. and VON KROGH, G. (2020). Resolving governance disputes in communities: A study of software license decisions. Strategic Management Journal, 41(10), pp. 1837-1868.
- SIRÉN, C., HE, V., WESEMANN, H., JONASSEN, Z., GRICHNIK, D. and VON KROGH, G. (2020). Leader Emergence in Nascent Venture Teams: The Critical Roles of Individual Emotion Regulation and Team Emotions. Journal of Management Studies, 57(5), pp. 931-961.
- GERSDORF, T., HE, V., SCHLESINGER, A., KOCH, G., EHRISMANN, D., WIDMER, H. and VON KROGH, G. (2019). Demystifying industry–academia collaboration. Nature Reviews Drug Discovery, 18(10), pp. 743-744.
- HE, V., SIRÉN, C., SINGH, S., SOLOMON, G. and VON KROGH, G. (2018). Keep Calm and Carry On: Emotion Regulation in Entrepreneurs’ Learning from Failure. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 42(4), pp. 605-630.
- SPAETH, S., VON KROGH, G. and HE, V. (2015). Perceived Firm Attributes and Intrinsic Motivation in Sponsored Open Source Software Projects. Information Systems Research, 26(1), pp. 224-237.
Presentations at an Academic or Professional conference
Invited speaker at an academic conference
Press article, video or other popular media
- 2021 - Present : New Venture Design and Planning (Grande Ecole - Master in Management ESSEC Business School France)
- 2020 - Present : Entrepreneurship (Global MBA ESSEC Business School France)
- 2019 - Present : Entrepreneurial Learning: Theory, Practice, & Play ( Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH), Zurich Switzerland)
- 2018 - Present : Academic Writing ( Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH), Zurich Switzerland)
- 2014 - Present : Industry and Competitive Analysis ( Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH), Zurich Switzerland)
- 2016 - 2020 : Organizer, MTEC research seminar, ETH Zurich, Switzerland
- 2019 : Conference Co-Organizer (with Nina Geilinger, Georg von Krogh, & Ce Zhang), Organizing in the Era of Digital Technology, Switzerland
- 2013 - 2016 : Organizer, Innovation Brownbag Speaker Series at the Department of Management, Technology, and Economics (MTEC), ETH Zurich, Switzerland
- 2018 : Award committee member, International Human Resource Management Scholarly Award, Academy of Management
- 2020 : - Present : Special issue Co-Editor (with Bart Clarysse & Chris Tucci), The internet of things: Managerial & entrepreneurial opportunities, Technovation