Andrei Filip is Professor of financial reporting at ESSEC Business School. Before joining ESSEC, he has been teaching financial accounting in Romania (ASE Bucharest), Switzerland (HEC Genève), and Canada (HEC Montréal). He also worked as an instructor for CFA Montreal and CIIA Switzerland and was the Head of the Accounting and Management Control department at ESSEC.
Holding a Ph.D. in international accounting from the University of Geneva, Andrei’s main research interests are institutional settings and financial reporting quality. He is recognized as an expert in international accounting with a focus on transitional economies from Eastern Europe and has worked on several projects with the international (IASB) and French (ANC) accounting standard setters. Andrei is regularly invited as a panel speaker for conferences (AAA-IAS, EAA, EUFIN, AMIS etc.)
Andrei has published in various international accounting journals (Contemporary Accounting Research, Journal of Corporate Finance, Journal of Business Finance and Accounting, The International Journal of Accounting, Journal of International Accounting Research, Accounting and Business Research etc.) and he is currently an associate editor of Accounting in Europe, a journal of the European Accounting Association and Accounting Forum.
Andrei has been working in the last decade with the IAAER, an international accounting association that builds capacities in accounting research and teaching in transition economies, where he currently is VP administration and faculty mentor for the young scholars.
- 2016 : HDR (Université Grenoble Alpes, France )
- 2007 : Doctorat in Economics and Social Sciences and Business Administration (Université de Genève, Switzerland )
- 2001 : DEA Decision and Control in Accounting (Bucharest University of Economic Studies, Romania )
- 2000 : Licence in Accounting and Management Computing (Bucharest University of Economic Studies, Romania )
- 2017 - Present : Professor (ESSEC Business School, France)
- 2014 - 2017 : Associate Professor (ESSEC Business School, France)
- 2009 - 2014 : Assistant Professor (ESSEC Business School, France)
- 2007 - 2009 : Assistant Professor (HEC Montréal, Canada)
- 2008 - 2009 : Instructor "Financial Statements Analysis" CFA Institute Montréal Level 1 & 2 (CFA Institute, Canada)
- 2004 - 2007 : Teaching and research assistant (Université de Genève, Switzerland)
- 2007 : Instructor "Accounting" AZEK CIIA Training program in Hanoi (AZEK (Swiss Training Center for Investment Professionals), Vietnam)
Full-time academic appointments
Other Academic Appointments
- 2006 : Doctoral colloquium fellow (European Accounting Association )
- 2018 : Best Paper Award IAAER World Congress
- 2011 : Best Paper Award IAAER World Congress
- FILIP, A., HUANG, Z. and LUI, D. (2020). Cross-Listing and Corporate Malfeasance: Evidence from P-Chip Firms. Journal of Corporate Finance, 63.
- ANDRÉ, P., FILIP, A. and MOLDOVAN, R. (2019). Diversified Firms and Analyst Earnings Forecasts: The Role of Management Guidance at the Segment Level. Journal of International Accounting Research, 18(3), pp. 1-38.
- ALBU, N., NICOLAE ALBU, C. and FILIP, A. (2017). Corporate Reporting in Central and Eastern Europe: Issues, Challenges and Research Opportunities. Accounting in Europe, 14(3), pp. 249-260.
- FILIP, A. (2016). Discussion of "Do Reviews by External Auditors Improve the Information Content of Interim Financial Statements". International Journal of Accounting, 51(1), pp. 51-56.
- ANDRÉ, P., FILIP, A. and PAUGAM, L. (2016). Examining the Patterns of Goodwill Impairments in Europe and the US. Accounting in Europe, 13(3), pp. 1-24.
- ANDRÉ, P., FILIP, A. and MOLDOVAN, R. (2016). Segment Disclosure Quantity and Quality under IFRS 8: Determinants and the Effect on Financial Analysts' Earnings Forecast Errors. International Journal of Accounting, 51(4), pp. 443-461.
- FILIP, A., LABELLE, R. and ROUSSEAU, S. (2015). Legal Regime and Financial Reporting Quality. Contemporary Accounting Research, 32(1), pp. 280-307.
- ANDRÉ, P., FILIP, A. and PAUGAM, L. (2015). The Effect of Mandatory IFRS Adoption on Conditional Conservatism in Europe. Journal of Business Finance and Accounting, 42(3&4), pp. 482-514.
- FILIP, A., JEANJEAN, T. and PAUGAM, L. (2015). Using Real Activities to Avoid Goodwill Impairment Losses: Evidence and Effect on Future Performance. Journal of Business Finance and Accounting, 42(3-4), pp. 515–554.
- FILIP, A. and RAFFOURNIER, B. (2014). Financial Crisis and Earnings Management: The European Evidence. International Journal of Accounting, 49(4), pp. 455-478.
- ANDRÉ, P. and FILIP, A. (2014). L'impact des normes IFRS sur la relation entre le conservatisme et l'efficacité des politiques d'investissement. Comptabilité, Contrôle, Audit, 20(3), pp. 101-124.
- FILIP, A. and RAFFOURNIER, B. (2013). The Value Relevance of Earnings in Europe after IFRS Implementation: Why Do National Differences Persist? International Journal of Accounting, Auditing and Performance Evaluation, 9(4), pp. 388-415.
- FILIP, A. (2010). IFRS and the Value Relevance of Earnings: Evidence From the Emerging Market of Romania. International Journal of Accounting, Auditing and Performance Evaluation, 6(2), pp. 191-223.
- FILIP, A. and RAFFOURNIER, B. (2010). The Value Relevance of Earnings in a Transition Economy: The case of Romania. The International Journal of Accounting, 45(1), pp. 77-103.
- FILIP, A. and DI VITO, J. (2009). Financial Reporting Quality Revisited: Interactions Between Earnings Management and the Value Relevance of Earnings. International Journal of Corporate Governance, 1(3), pp. 271-284.
- FILIP, A., LABELLE, R. and ROUSEAU, S. (2009). L'impact de l'environnement législatif sur la qualité de l'information comptable. Revue Française de Gouvernance d'Entreprise, (6), pp. 91-106.
Guest editor of a journal special issue
Presentations at an Academic or Professional conference
- 2020 : - Present : Associate Editor - Accounting Forum
- 2019 : - Present : Associate Editor - Accounting in Europe
- 2020 : - Present : Editorial board membership - European Accounting Review
- 2013 : - Present : Editorial board membership - International Journal of Accounting
- 2009 : - Present : Editorial board membership - Journal of Accounting and Management Information Systems (JAMIS)
- 2018 - 2019 : Editorial board membership - Accounting Forum
- 2015 - 2018 : Editorial board membership - Accounting in Europe
Senior or Associate Editor
Editorial Board Membership
- 2019 : JIANG Jin (ESSEC Business School), Thesis co-director
- 2018 : GHIO Alessandro (ESSEC Business School), Thesis director, First placement: Assistant lecturer in Accounting - Monash Business School, Monash University
- 2015 : MOLDOVAN Rucsandra (ESSEC Business School), Thesis co-director, First placement: Assistant Professor - Concordia University