Marco's academic research focuses on corporate law & finance and on competition law, with special focus on the interdiscplinary interaction between these two fields of knowledge and with increasing interest in ESG profiles.
Marco was awarded by the University of Oxford an LLM (MJUR), an MPHIL in Law and a PHD (DPHIL) in European and comparative corporate law . He also holds a second PHD in competition law and economics from Richard Goodwin Business School (Siena). As an undergraduate, he studied law at Bologna University (Alma Mater Studiorum).
Before joining ESSEC, Marco was a senoir research fellow at the Stockholm Centre for Commercial Law of Stockholm University, where he co-directed a comparative business law research panel, and a senior lecturer in law at Lund University.
Marco practiced business law, he is admitted to the Bologna Bar Association, where he qualified to plead in front of higher courts. He is also accredited as a business mediator in the City of London and as an international commercial arbitrator and international commercial mediator at the German International Arbitration Institute (DIS). He also has extensive experience in policy research and consultancy commissioned by European, Middle-Eastern and Asian Governments and Independent Authorities in matters of trade and competition policy. Finally, Marco has also worked for a start-up active in the nautic sector for around one year.
- 2016: PhD in Comparative and European Corporate Law (University of Oxford United Kingdom)
- 2001: JD Magna Cum Laude in each of the 22 qualifying examination (30/30) – 110/110 Summa cum Laude + National Merit Award 2001 (University of Bologna Italy)
- 2002: MSc en droit et économie (Richard Goodwin School of Economics – University of Siena Italy)
- 2007: PhD en Analyse économique du droit (Richard Goodwin School of Economics – University of Siena Italy)
- 2009: LLM (MJUR), Magister Juris – Distinction and Merit Award (University of Oxford – St Catherine’s College United Kingdom)
- 2010: MPHIL in Comparative and European Corporate Law (University of Oxford United Kingdom)
- 1996: Maturita’ Scientifica 60/60 (Liceo Scientifico Valeriani Italy)
- 2020: Oxford Entrepreneurship (Said Business School United Kingdom)
- 2020 – Now : Assistant Professor (ESSEC Business School France)
- 2020 : Visiting Professor (Regent’s Park College – University of Oxford United Kingdom)
- 2019 – 2020 : Visiting Professor (ESSEC Business School France)
- 2019 – 2020 : Senior Research Fellow, lecturer and co-director of the Comparative Business Law Research Panel (Université de Stockholm Sweden)
- 2018 – 2019 : Visiting Senior Lecturer – the Institute for European and Comparative Law (University of Oxford United Kingdom)
- 2017 – 2020 : Visiting Professor in EU Substantive Law – Europa-Kolleg (Université de Hambourg Germany)
- 2016 – 2018 : Senior Lecturer in Law (Université de Lund Sweden)
- 2009 – 2012 : Lecturer in Law – Centre for Business Law (CBL) International Summer Program (Oriel College United Kingdom)
- 2002 – 2006 : Teaching Assistant in Commercial Law – Faculty of Economics (Université de Trente Italy)
- 2001 – 2008 : Teaching Assistant in Commercial Law – Faculty of Law (University of Bologna Italy)
- 2018 : Summer Member (start-up incubator) (One Co-work Spain)
- 2016 : Legal consultant (Inesse Corporation ltd United Kingdom)
- 2013 : Internship at the Court of Justice of the EU (Cabinet of Judge Anthony Borg Barthet Luxembourg)
- 2005 – 2013 : Barrister/Attorney at Law (‘Avvocato’) (Bologna Bar Association at the Court of Appeal of Bologna Italy)
- 2003 : Legal Consultant (Studio Legale Rossi Italy)
- 2011 : Research Fellow in Law and Finance (Columbia University United States of America)
- 2018 : Research Grant by the Soederbergs Foundation for researching on ‘The anti-competitive effects of non-controlling financial holdings (Sweden)
- 2009 : Research grant (shared with the other participants) by the Oxford-Beijing Cairncross Foundation for a Policy Research on EU and Chinese Competition Law (United Kingdom)
- 2003 : Research Grant by the Italian Ministry of University and Scientific Research for studying the Implementation of EU Regulation 1/2003 within the Italian Jurisdiction (Italy)
- 2001 : Doctoral scholarship from the Italian Ministry of University and Scientific Research (Italy)
- 2009 : Prize for the Best Competition Law Performance in BCL/MJUR (Monckton Chambers, United Kingdom)
- 2001 : First Prize for the Best Italian Student in Law (2001); Guida al diritto/Il Sole 24 ore, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer (Italy)
- CORRADI, M. et NOWAG, J. (2023). Enforcing Corporate Opportunity Rules: Antitrust Risks and Antitrust Failures. European Business Law Review, 34(2), pp. 293-324.
- CORRADI, M. et NOWAG, J. (2019). The Interaction between Corporate Law and Competition Law. European Company Law, 16(2), pp. 42-43.
- CORRADI, M. (2018). Notes on Competition and Justum Pretium Theory and Practice in Medieval Italy: Lessons for Modern EU Competition Price Theory? Antitrust Bulletin, 63(3), pp. 330-349.
- CORRADI, M. (2018). Securing corporate opportunities in Europe – comparative notes on monetary remedies and on the potential evolution of the remedial system. Journal of Corporate Law Studies, 18(2), pp. 439-473.
- CORRADI, M. et TZANAKI, A. (2017). Active and Passive Institutional Investors and New Antitrust Challenges: Is EU Competition Law Ready? CPI Antitrust Chronicle, 1(3).
- CORRADI, M. (2016). Corporate Opportunities Doctrines Tested in the Light of the Theory of the Firm – A European (and US) Comparative Perspective. European Business Law Review, 27(6), pp. 755-819.
- CORRADI, M. (2015). Bridging the Gap in the Shifting Sands of Non-Controlling Financial Holdings? World Competition. Law and Economics Review, 39(2), pp. 239-266.
- CORRADI, M. (2012). Corporate Agency Costs in the Shadow of the European Stock Exchanges: A Comparative Assessment of British and Italian Law on Related Party Transactions and Corporate Opportunities. The Journal of Comparative Law, pp. 23-50.
- CORRADI, M. (2011). Le opportunità di affari all’ultimo comma dell’art. 2391 c.c.: profili interpretativi tra ‘società’ ed ‘impresa’. Giurisprudenza Commerciale, 38(4), pp. 597-620.
- CORRADI, M. (2011). Les opportunités d’affaires saisies par les administrateurs de la société en violation du devoir de loyauté. Bulletin Joly Sociétés.
- CORRADI, M. (2009). L’applicazione del diritto antitrust nazionale e comunitario a norma dell’art. 134 c.p.i.: note minime. Rivista Trimestrale di Diritto e Procedura Civile, 63(2), pp. 709-721.
- CORRADI, M. (2008). La proporzionalità tra partecipazione e “potere di controllo” nell’art. 2449 c.c. Giurisprudenza Commerciale, 35(5), pp. 932-947.
- CORRADI, M. (2007). Le partecipazioni societarie che non veicolano il controllo: riflessioni di economia e diritto antitrust. Rivista del Diritto Commerciale e del Diritto Generale delle Obbligazioni, 105(4-6), pp. 363-441.
- CORRADI, M., ENRIQUES, L. et BIANCHI, M. (2002). Gli investitori istituzionali italiani e la corporate governance delle società quotate dopo la riforma del 1998: un’analisi del ruolo potenziale dei gestori di fondi comuni. Banca, Impresa, Societa, 21(3), pp. 397-438.
- CORRADI, M. (2002). Validità ed efficacia di una clausola di prelazione nell’ambito di una vendita coattiva. Giurisprudenza Commerciale, 29(5), pp. 591-600.
- CORRADI, M. et CORRADI, V. (2002). The Adjusted Knaster Procedure Under Unequal Entitlements. Decisions in Economics and Finance, pp. 157-160.
- CORRADI, M. (2001). Conflitto di interessi, azione sociale di responsabilità e impugnazione di deliberazioni negative. Giurisprudenza Commerciale, 28(6), pp. 840-859.
Presentations at an Academic or Professional conference
- CORRADI, M. (2023). Venture Capital-backed Start-up Failure. Dans: 2023 National Business Law Scholars Conference. Knoxville.
- CORRADI, M. (2022). Competition in the Banking Industry and Technological Innovation: Global Appraisal and Policy Observations. Dans: 2022 Amsterdam Center for Law and Economics (ACLE) – Young Scholar Initiative (YSI) Young Talents in Law & Finance Conference. Amsterdam.
- CORRADI, M. (2022). Directors’ Conflict of Interest in VC-Backed Start-Ups. Dans: 2022 Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SASE) Annual Meeting. Amsterdam.
- HELLERINGER, G. et CORRADI, M. (2019). Board Duties: The Duty of Loyalty and Self-Dealing. Dans: 2019 Comparative Corporate Governance Workshop.
- CORRADI, M. (2019). Corporate Founders’ Duty of Loyalty and Technological Innovation. Dans: America Society of Comparative Law Conference at McGill University. Montreal.
- CORRADI, M. (2019). Parallel Holdings by Institutional Investors and EU Policies: What’s Next? Dans: Bergen Competition Policy Conference. Bergen.
- CORRADI, M. (2018). Corporate Law Incentives to Directors’ Technological Innovations – A Comparative Analysis. Dans: American Society of Comparative Law YCC Workshop on Comparative Business and Financial Law. New York.
- CORRADI, M. (2018). Enforcing Corporate Opportunities Rules: Antitrust Risks and Antitrust Failures. Dans: NYU Next Generation of Antitrust Scholars Conference. New York.
- CORRADI, M. (2017). Bargaining over Corporate Opportunities: Disclosure, Negotiation and Residual Allocative Effects. Dans: 8th National Business Law Scholar Conference. Salt Lake City.
- CORRADI, M. (2015). Bridging the Gap in the ‘Shifting Sands’ of Non-Controlling Financial Holdings? Dans: 1st Annual Conference on Competition Policy’. Bergen.
- CORRADI, M. et HELLERINGER, G. (2021). Board duties: the duty of loyalty and self-dealing. Dans: Afra Afsharipour, Martin Gelter eds. Comparative Corporate Governance. 1 ed. Edward Elgar Publishing Ltd, pp. 200-219.
- CORRADI, M. et NOWAG, J. (2019). With and without Prejudice: on the Case of Cross-Border Mergers for Large Multinational Firms and SMEs. Dans: T. Papadopulos (ed.). Cross-border Mergers Directive: EU perspectives and national experiences. 1st ed. Springer International Publishing.
- CORRADI, M. (2017). 欧洲国家援助法发展历程 [The Development of EU State Aid Law from a Policy Perspective]. Dans: William Kovacic (ed.). 以竞争促增长:国际视角 [Accelerating China’s Growth by Strengthening Competition]. 1st ed. Beijing: Citic, pp. 97-162.
- CORRADI, M. (2012). Commento all’art. 120 T.U.F. Dans: Commentario T.U.F. – Decreto Legislativo 24 febbraio 1998, n. 58 e successive modificazioni. 1st ed. Giappichelli.
- CORRADI, M. (2012). Commento all’articolo 121. Dans: F. Vella (ed.). Commentario T.U.F. – Decreto Legislativo 24 febbraio 1998, n. 58 e successive modificazioni. 1st ed. Giappichelli.
Press article, video or other popular media
Presentations at a Faculty research seminar
- CORRADI, M. (2019). Parallel Holdings and Antitrust: a Global Perspective. Dans: Seminar ar Hong Kong University Law Faculty. Hong Kong (HKU).
- CORRADI, M. (2019). Investment Funds’ Equity Holdings and EU Competition Policies. Oxford.
- CORRADI, M. (2015). An Evolutionary and Comparative Perspective on the ‘Market’ for Corporate Opportunities in the United Kingdom. Dans: Humboldt University Großbritannien-Zentrum Colloquium. Berlin.
- CORRADI, M. (2015). Legislative Options for an Efficient Allocation of Corporate Opportunities. Tilburg.
- CORRADI, M. (2015). Corporate Opportunities Doctrines and the Theories of the Firm. Dans: ULB Faculty of Law. Brussels.
- CORRADI, M. (2014). Minority Equity and Debt Holdings in EU Competition Law. New York.
- CORRADI, M. (2014). Solomonic bargaining in corporate law. New York.
- CORRADI, M. (2010). Corporate Opportunity Rules in a comparative perspective: individuating a correct ‘tertium comparationis’. Oxford.
- CORRADI, M. (2010). Corporate law rules for the allocation of the entitlements to exploit new business opportunities: notes from an economic perspective. Oxford.
Invited speaker at an academic conference
- CORRADI, M. et HELLERINGER, G. (2019). Directors’ Self-Dealing: Comparative Approach. Dans: Fordham Law School Corporate Law Conference. New York.
- CORRADI, M. (2019). Competition Law and Policy at times of Financialisation: Concentration, Innovation, Sustainability in the Food Sector. Dans: Science Po Roundtable. Paris (Science Po).
- CORRADI, M. (2018). Parallel Holdings: A Competition Law Problem? Dans: Stockholm School of Economics Konkurrensrättsdag, SNEF. Stockholm.
- CORRADI, M. (2017). With and without Prejudice: on the Case of Cross-Border Mergers for Large Multinational Firms and SMEs. Dans: First Conference on Cross-border Mergers Directive: EU perspectives and national experiences. Nicosia.
- CORRADI, M. (2016). Enforcing Corporate Opportunities Rules: the Hidden Antitrust Risk. Dans: 2nd Annual Conference on Competition Policy. Bergen.
Technical reports, White papers
- CORRADI, M. (2016). Substantive Redactor of a Policy Report on the EU Free Trade and Competition Policy Development in a Policy Research on USA and EU Competition and Free Trade Law, Commissioned by the Chinese Antitrust Authority and Cairncross Foundation to Professor Thomas Cheng & Peter Freeman (judge) (Beijing; Oxford). Royaume-Uni.
- CORRADI, M. (2016). Author of the Policy Report on ‘The Development of EU State Aid Law’, in a Policy Research commissioned by the Chinese Antitrust Authority and Cairncross Foundation to Professor Sir Derek Morris (Beijing and Oxford). Royaume-Uni.
- CORRADI, M. (2013). Author of a Policy Recommendation on Antitrust Sanctions and Remedies in a PBP Oxford Consultancy to the Georgian Government for the Reform of Competition Law directed by Professor Ariel Ezrachi (University of Oxford). Royaume-Uni.
- 2016 – 2017 Comparative Corporate Law, Maritime Law, WTO Law, Maritime Finance, Arbitration Law (Université de Lund Sweden)
- 2017 – 2020 Substantive Law of the European Union (Europa Kolleg – University of Hamburg United Kingdom)
- 2009 – 2012 Comparative Corporate Law; EU Competition Law; EU Law and Institutions; EU procedure (Oriel College United Kingdom)
- 2001 – 2008 Examining Business Law Students (‘voluntary’ activity – unpaid) (University of Bologna Italy)
- 2002 – 2008 Examining Business Law Students (‘voluntary activity’ – unpaid) (Université de Trente Italy)
- 2019 – 2019 International Business Law (ESSEC Business School Singapore)
- 2019 – 2020 European Law (ESSEC Business School France)
- 2020 – 2020 Law and Entrepreneurship (ESSEC Business School France)
- 2019 – 2019 Mergers and Acquisitions (ESSEC Business School France)
- 2020 – 2020 Globalization and Trade (ESSEC Business School France)
- 2019 – 2019 Training with Alexander Massey
- 2010 – 2010 PLTO Teaching Diploma (Training for lecturing in UK Universities)
- 2016 – 2017 Master Thesis Supervision
- 2001 – 2008 Supervision of Bachelor Thesis
- 2018 – 2018: First International Conference on the Relationships between Corporate Law and Antitrust Law, Lund (2018) (with Julian Nowag, co-organizer) ( Sweden)
- 2017 – Now: Academic Associate of the American Society of Comparative Law ( United States of America)
- 2018 – Now: Arbitrator in the lists of the German Arbitration Institute ( Germany)
- 2013 – Now: Academic member of the European Corporate Governance Institute (ECGI) ( Belgium)
- 2013 – Now: Accredited Civil and Business Mediator – ADR Chambers – London ( United Kingdom)
- 2005 – Now: Barrister (Avvocato) – Bologna Bar ( Italy)